With all the depressing news that occurred last week I thought I'd write about all the hockey transactions that have taken place today. It felt good to hear about puck news, which only reminded me that next hockey season is right around this long ass corner! Anyhow, here are today's big news followed by other soon to be news:Anaheim Ducks: as of today the Ducks have traded Chris Pronger in return for Lupul and Schbisa, or something like that. Anyhow, sad to see Prongs go, but I think he's not fitting into what the Ducks need now. When the Ducks won the cup, brutal force was the way to go; teams adjusted and now can defend against that so its back to the drawing board which has scoring and speed written on it. Also, late today the Ducks re-signed Erik (Spell) Christiansan to a one year deal along with Troy Bodie.
Flames: Jay Bouwmeester was the biggest name being tossed around draft day as the hot property everyone wanted (before the Pronger trade happened out of no where). So now Calgary has "THE" man of the hour and maybe a renewed sense of being.
Rangers/Kings: The Rangers got the rights to Brian Boyle, a good hard nosed player that I thought worked well for the Kings, but I think they have other plans.
Penguins: In the first feel good story of the off season, Bill Guerin took a hometown discount to remain with the Penguins, making Hossa look like scum, and letting his team know he's ready to repeat!
Jaws 2: Rob Blake is going to give it one more try and see if San Jose knows the way to the cup. He signed for 1 year.
Devils: Johnny Oduya re-signed with NJ. Why is this significant? Someone somewhere had him listed as a potential Ducks deal, but low and behold, no dice. Ducks won't be doing Oduya.
The other Jonas: GUSTAVSSON that is, won't pick a team until...after July 1st. Why? Make a bigger splash! He's the most sought after rookie goalie, and as of now everyone and their mother think he's headed to Toronto.
Le Big Mac: In one of today's biggest stories, the NY Rangers made a 6 player trade with Montreal that sent Scott Gomez packing to the Canadians! There were 5 other players involved but only care to notice Scott so there.
The biggest Non-Trade today: Heatley was traded, then not traded, then might be traded tomorrow to the Edmonton Oilers! In a deal that supposedly will send Dustin "It's my fault contracts are so expensive" Penner and a few other bums to Ottawa in return for Heatley and some souvenirs! This deal was apparently finalized tonight around 5 p.m. PST, but then something happened and Heatley hasn't officially agreed to being traded, so the world is holding its collective breath tonight for some sort of conclusion tomorrow...stay tuned.
Possible deals: I'm hearing that Havlat and Gaborik are going to be L.A. Kings tomorrow which I think will definitely spice things up for L.A. and make them a playoff contender this upcoming season.
Koivu: This is the rumor that won't die. Apparently the Canadians have declined to offer Koivu and offer which would make him available tomorrow, which for some reason means he'll come to Anaheim. Hey, I'll take him, but first let's see if this rumor is true.
Sedins: This is another story that will be huge once it's finalized. Vancouver made the Sedins an offer, which apparently they did not accept. The other rumored teams involved trying to sign the twins? Montreal and Toronto. Is it just me, or are all the Canadian teams stock piling players? Is this the year Canada gets the cup?
Hossa: According to what I've read, he turned down a multi year deal with Detorit, and may be headed to Edmonton.
Well that's it, all the recent NHL news making headlines. I know there were other deals made, but these are the biggest ones that will make a difference for the corresponding teams. I think these deals will make this new season a fun one to watch. Stay tuned for more!!

No comments:
Post a Comment