Well, all the talk is now over and the time to put or shut up is here. That's right, the 2010 NHL season is about to begin for the Ducks and I cannot wait! Yes, I know the Ducks lost Scott Niedermayer to retirement, and our blue line is not the same anymore. Adam Brady, blogger for the Ducks, even bashes our pre-season saying he's "glad it's over." I'm amazed he works for Anaheim the way he puts the team down sometimes, although I think he's not in it for the hockey. Anyhow, all the talk doesn't really matter now, because actions speak louder than words.
One story I read says that the season could be long for the Ducks but not for Randy Carlyle. Implying that if the Ducks get off to a less than stellar start, his pink slip could be handed to him. Well, I say this...everybody just calm down. I read a column written by Bret Hedican in which he talks about team chemistry and how important it is to have that, aside from big name players, coaching staff, and money. I agree. Looks how many years it took for the New York Yankees, and the team of players in 2009 to win a world series. That squad was together at least three four years before reaching the ultimate prize in baseball. So just because a team has Heatly, Crosby, or two Sedins, does not equal a Stanley cup. Don't forget, Ducks fans, we had Scott for 5 years, and won the cup only one time. It took the addition of Chris Pronger, and a few others to get Stanley to Anaheim. Then the following year, without Scott for a good majority of the season, and with Pronger, we didn't even see the conference finals.
Slow starts do not always equal success either. Last year's finalist, the Flyers, sat in 9th or 10th place at the break, and fired their head coach mid-season, before finally getting into their 'groove.' So President's trophies, great starts, and an all-star line up do not secure the rights to raise the cup. It all comes down to chemistry. So when the nay sayers label the Ducks as missing the playoffs, or mock the defense, I simply stay put and wait to see what happens. I'm a pessimist, and have played on sports teams before. I know that sometimes the best motivation is to have no expectations, because one never knows what will happen. In 2007, the Ducks had the best start in the NHL ever, and went on to win the Stanley Cup. They nearly had a melt down at the all-star break when the team suddenly lost every game played leading up to the break, but then recovered. So 2007 could have been just as disappointing, as it was spectacular.
I believe the Ducks won the cup because the team as a whole enjoyed another's company and were genuinely having fun. The Ducks will be a good team, if they have fun and want to be. Ok, enough talk, let's get this show on the road!! First stop.....Detroit!! GO DUCKS!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment