
Vin Scully announced that he was returning for the 2011 baseball season. When it comes to baseball broadcasters, there are only a few that have been around since the "beginning." In sports, it is no surprise to see players come and go from team to team with no allegiance, but Scully can definitely be referred to as a homer. He has been with the Los Angeles Dodgers for 62 seasons and just today put to rest the rumors that he was retiring. Since 1950 Scully has been the play by play man, and story teller for the organization. Never has there been a person who could call balls and strikes, while explaining not only the good and bad habits of the player at bat, but also talk about how he once had dinner with Tommy Lasorda. I was a Dodger fan growing up because my father used to bet on the Dodgers when I was a kid. So by default, we went to the games, and always watched them on tv. A Dodger broadcast would not be the same without the familiar voice of Scully. One of my fondest memories was watching the Dodgers play Oakland in the 1988 World Series on Prime ticket. I remember Scully narrating a story about how the Dodgers have no chance on paper, and that Oakland's pitching was too great, and the "Bash Brothers" were too powerful for the Blue Crew to deal with. Then Scully noticed Kirk Gibson in the dugout, and toward the end of the game, kept mentioning the fact that Gibson could not even stand, let alone take practice swings, which he now was doing. And when Gibson came out and walked to the plate, Scully said "And look whose coming up!" I could hear the excitement in Scully's voice, and as they say in sports, the rest is history. That will forever be my Vin Scully moment. I am sure Dodger fans are hoping for another in 2011. Finally, I leave you with the Gibson homerun in pictures as a refresher:
Source: L.A. Times
No comments:
Post a Comment